One of the major issues with decision-making process that occurred in class was that they were many different views from almost every student in this class. It was almost as if we were in a parliament with many different factions operation at the same time.
The method of conflict resolution that I used the most was accomodation. I really did not have anything to lose or gain through the debates that were taking place at the time. I however did not want to see everyone in the class lose out on an oppurtunity to improve their grades. I did believe that the exam was difficult because of the way it was set-up, mainly because it was in a way that Baruch students were not used to. However, even though I supported the class getting a higher grade, my friend however did not. This friend argued that if you earned the grade, you should keep it, and that if the class were to recieve a higher grade then it would make this person's grade meaningless. Even though her aregument had merits, I realize that it was just who I am to see that other succeed and the it was just who my friend was. It was a diffeence off opinion that was probably ingrained in out respective personalities that made our veiw points radically different.
Given what I know now, I would have probably used a mediator - a thrid party whom every would respect and listen to well enough to have ease the conflict and ultimately avoid it altogether, that would most likely lead to a beneficial outcome for all parties involved. I would say someone who is in a position of authority, whether implicit or explict, who could command enought respect to guide the situation in the desired direction. This would have been better becuase this may have avoided unnecessary confrontation that resulted because of lack of direction. In essense it was a free-for-all battle royale between people with different view on what we should expect to get form the process, and i believe a mediator could have been used to act as a referee so that the 'fighting' remained fair to all of the students.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I can see what your saying but I think that even with a mediator it would have still been somewhat chaotic. You have so many people who are looking out just for themselves and not the entire class. And then having to agree on one decision all together is almost impossible. I think every student comprimised somewhat minus the students who did extrememly well on the tests.
Truth be told the mediator I was refering to was the professor himself - someone who can command the respect of most if not all of the class.
I will have to agree that a mediator would've been a better way to approach this decision making. Despite the fact that with or without one we would've reached the same results, the mediator would have been used for the sole purpose of directing the class in a more respectable manner and less chaotic. A sense of order might've been the key issue. By the way thanks for your comment on my blog. I must say it has been the best comment posted thus far.
Post a Comment